This page contains many images of the house, which have been arranged in the following order:
The front elevation, as of July 2013.
The front driveway of Chestnuts House, showing the northern range and stables block, July 2013
The Stables Block fronting onto Hoe Street
The rear of the stables block, facing the Esso Petrol Station on Hoe Street
The eastern elevation of the stables block. The three bays where stable doors once hung can be clearly seen, with the 20th Century oblong windows in the centre of the building.
The grouping of outbuildings to the rear of the stables block
Victorian Porch on rear entrance to the building
Georgian rainwater butt, embossed with ‘1745’ and the initials ‘T’, ‘C’ and ‘A’. The initials stand for Thomas and Catherine Allen, who rebuilt the house between 1745 and 1747.
One of the tie plates on the stables block
Original hinges for the long gone stable doors
One of the ball topped gateposts fronting Hoe Street. Along with the rest of the building, these gateposts are listed at Grade 2*
The Main Stairwell
The main stairwell, showing the fine banister
The first floor landing, as seen from the staircase
Roccoco plaster mouldings on the ceiling of one of the reception rooms
Window in the northern corridor
Original 18th Century coat hooks, carved from wood
The ‘Secret Passage.’ This in fact is a ventilation tunnel running around the circumference of the building, to help prevent dampness in the cellar.
Sunset from the attic of Chestnuts House. This is the window at the top of the back stairs.